Thursday, November 8, 2007

DVD Review: Weirdly Lame: The FireSign Theatre.

The Firesign Theatre are apparently an American institution. After a little internet research and celebrity testimony, I thought this television recording of a live show might be an example of comedy play-building.
But I haven't grown up with "The Firesign Theatre". I don't have an entrenched emotional relationship with Firesign and now wonder whether a previous connection to the group was an important prerequisite to enjoying this DVD. I'd only read a few articles and reviews on Firesign, I thought what the heck, give Firesign a go. After all, I'm curious about comedy, improvisation and theatre, and as a H.S. Drama teacher, I'm always on the look out for good DVD performance resources.
However, I must apologise to any dedicated "Firesign" fans (like Robin Williams) whom I may offend but I found "Weirdly Cool" surprisingly cumbersome and damp. There were a couple of sound moments that really worked well but on the whole, I was extremely disappointed by their worn routines and lame jokes. The stagecraft was only adequate setting some poor standard for students to aspire to. I actually found that watching "weirdly cool" became increasingly more torturous the further it went on.
Now,this DVD does provoke some thought on the nature of comedy and how much humour can be lost through cultural and/or generational gaps. How different are the British / American / Australian / German / etc senses of humour? I really doubt that I could even show one or two sections from this DVD performance to my students as an example of play-building or comic acting.
I guess "Weirdly Cool" is intended as a remembrance and must have some sentimental value to those fans who was there. In their original recording may have captured some of the flair and sharp wit that they have become famour for. However, as far as I'm concerned... Is anybody interested in a cheap almost new copy of "Weirdly Cool" for sale?
(This entry is based on my original amazon review)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, perhaps one has to grow up with the Firesign Theatre to fully appreciate them.

I love this troupe dearly, but I am already pretty warped as it is.

Try listening to all their albums; it is pretty.. transforming.

Shoes for Industry, Captain Powerful